Why does Bay of Quinte Young Entrepreneurs need to exist for the Bay of Quinte Region and other rural Canadian communities?
There is a very serious problem in the Bay of Quinte community, and in most other rural communities across Canada. The number of students who are leaving our Region upon graduation is roughly 40%. When youth leave, all of the innovation, talent and economic impact (spending and investments) goes with them. According to Statistics Canada, out of the remaining 60% of youth (ages 15-29) that are here, roughly 14% are unemployed vs. 7.7% of the general population. Bay of Quinte Young Entrepreneurs will help to attract and retain families and youth to the area and give the youth that we already have here a chance at a better life. Together with other community-focused organization, we can make this Region into a more sustainable community for all.
History: I developed this blog initially to address the chronic problem of youth leaving the Bay of Quinte region, upon graduation from secondary and post-secondary education. This is because:
- There is a lack of stimulating, gainful & sustainable full-time employment opportunities has made the region an undesirable location for young people and young families.
- The unique talent, innovation and ideas that the youth possess are not being tapped into but instead are leaving the region when the youth leave.
- Being a young person who grew up the Bay of Quinte Region, I am familiar with the hardships being experienced by the young people in the region.
- Upon graduation from the Loyalist College Accounting and Post Graduate Human Resource Management Programs, I enrolled in the Loyalist College 1-Year Post Graduate Entrepreneurial Studies – Business Launch (ESBL) Program to develop a business that would create exciting entrepreneurship-based career opportunities for youth.
- I have worked diligently to establish myself within the community; I have acquired a roster of partners, mentors, and community members who are helping me to design the infrastructure I require to successfully manage BOQYE.